The illustrative masterplan is in draft form, and will be subject to further discussion, including comments received at this exhibition. It has been informed to date by a series of technical and environmental studies as well as design workshops that have refined the proposals. This process has included an early review of the vision and development framework by the national Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE).
The masterplan contains the following key elements:
- about 3,000 homes including affordable housing;
- employment land in the form of an extension to the Oxford Science Park providing space for approximately 1,500 jobs, as well as separate provision for workshops, studios, start-up and co-working spaces;
- two primary schools and a University Technical College;
- a large amount of open space including sports pitches, parkland, natural wildlife areas and woodland planting;
- a park and ride site with access direct from Reading Road; and
- a large local centre adjacent to the Kassam Stadium, and two local centres providing local shops and community facilities.
The University Technical College will be operated by Magdalen College Oxford, one of the owners of the site, and would complement the existing Academy to the north of Grenoble Road.