The scale of the housing need across Oxford and South Oxfordshire is enormous.
- The 2014 Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) found that over 100,000 homes are needed by 2031 to meet Oxfordshire’s housing need.
- Of the 100,000, Oxford has a requirement for 32,000 homes.
- Given the constraints and lack of available land for development within the city, the areas around Oxford will help provide the housing needed.
South Oxford Science Village will deliver up to 3,000 homes for local people.
- A balanced community providing the right mix of different tenure options to cater for all housing requirements.
- 40% of units provided will be affordable housing.
The undersupply of housing in the area will continue to negatively affect the potential of nationally important science, technology and education sectors. South Oxford Science Village provides the best opportunity to deliver desperately needed homes in the most convenient, sustainable location.